Ranger Kathryn's Arches

September 18, 2010

Lost Spring Canyon, Part 1

Beautiful and seldom-visited Covert Arch

For eight hours we had hiked up and down washes in the Lost Spring Canyon area — real estate not in the original Arches NP, but added in 1998 for its scenic value. Bill was evaluating habitat for Mexican Spotted Owls, necessary before deciding on things like rock climbing management plans. We looked for roosting areas, white-washed cliff walls, owl pellets, rodent bone graveyards. Along the way we also found lithic scatters, annoying invasive plant species, and Desert Spiny Lizards.

How can the sunflowers still be blooming?!?!?

The beauty of it was in hiking for an entire day and not seeing another party out there. In a national park that will likely see a million visitors this year for the first time, that is not an easy assignment.

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit,” wrote Edward Abbey. I agree. It is when I am out in the middle of nowhere that I feel most fully alive. Cliff walls, animal tracks, and visual textures invite me to use my senses and intellect to categorize and compare. Identifying lizards, plants, and rock layers exercises my mind while the hiking exercises my body. Taking scores of photographs helps me remember the places I walked, as well as challenging my eyes to see things differently.

This patch of quicksand prevented us from getting up-wash to explore further

Behind it all, however, is an acute awareness of the power of the desert to command respect. Heat and intense sunlight sap one’s strength. Water intake has to be nearly constant. Being vigilant about potential dangers — plants, animals, environment — is mandatory. Stepping over the spider web instead of walking through it is a wise choice when in Black Widow territory. Choosing long pants in the 94-degree heat is more intelligent when invasive pokey Russian Thistle clog the paths. (Why we continue to romanticize the “tumbleweed” is unknown to me. The cowboys didn’t know how out of control they would soon get.)

If the sun does this to mud, what is it doing to my skin?

I can hear some of you thinking that you’d rather just stay in the comfort of your own home. I respect that. While wilderness wandering is not everyone’s cup of tea, I certainly am glad that visionary people forever preserved large chunks of it for us all to enjoy. Long live our national parks!

Advertisements

7 Comments »

  1. I think you need to experience quicksand first hand. I’m sure Bill could help you get out. I would love to hear you describe the utterly helpless feeling of being sucked in the more you struggle. Please, for the sake of your readers, take the plunge….

    Comment by john — September 19, 2010 @ 7:30 am | Reply

    • It wasn’t deep enough, John. Besides, it would have wrecked my hikers — although the blogworthiness of the experience might compensate. I’ll keep it in mind.

      Comment by kath56ryn — September 19, 2010 @ 9:20 am | Reply

  2. I think you need to experience quicksand first hand. I’m sure Bill could help you get out. I would love to hear you describe the utterly helpless feeling of being sucked in the more you struggle. Please, for the sake of your readers, take the plunge…….

    Comment by john — September 19, 2010 @ 7:32 am | Reply

  3. Well, I’m sure you are taking that sun seriously. Jane had nine stitches in her back after a cancerous mole was removed. Mud doesn’t get melanoma, but you could, so be very careful out there.

    Comment by Allen Gislason — September 21, 2010 @ 7:52 am | Reply

    • I was pretty cavalier in the early season, but lather the SPF on heavily now. Thanks for the reminder.

      Comment by kath56ryn — September 21, 2010 @ 9:23 am | Reply

  4. striking, breath-taking feasts for the eyes– and in most blogs! Are you the photographer, Ranger Kathryn?

    Comment by Lynn — September 22, 2010 @ 10:04 am | Reply

    • Yes, Lynn — 98% of the photos on my blog are mine, and the other 2% will say “file photo” or something like that. Thanks for the compliment!

      Comment by kath56ryn — September 23, 2010 @ 6:01 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: